franjessca

FranJessca [at] Book Lovin' Mamas

Girls Night Out: Volume 2 (GNO)
'Patricia A. Wolf', 'Calinda B', 'Lila Dubois', 'C.J. Ellisson'

5 full moons - "Reckoning" by Winter Austin

Reckoning - Winter Austin

Reckoning is the fourth book to Winter Austin’s Degrees of Darkness series and it ended the series with a HUGE bang.  I was not prepared to cry while reading this book, and I definitely was not prepared for what Winter Austin put Remy and Cody through in this book.

I thought originally that Revenge was the last book I would read of Remy & Cody’s story, but Winter surprised me by saying their story was not done yet.  I should have known from the beginning because there was something left opened in the very first book.  In Reckoning, we get the complete closure of it all.  Winter did an amazing job on making everything come to together for Remy and Cody, but she didn’t make it easy for either one them.

Cody went through the most in this book again, at least that was my opinion after I read it.  She was tested again and again, and this time it was her past that crept up on her and her Daddy’s past colliding with it all.  Cody believes the one person she hates the most is back to seek to harm her even further…her ex-boyfriend that her father scared away with his gun so many years ago.  There is also the fact her father is acting really weird, but she has no clue why.  All she knows is that she must find out the truth on who is behind the messages, but she finds something about herself that she is scared to reveal to anyone. She also is scared to talk about that one night she had with her ex-boyfriend that made her lead down a dark path.

Remy in the story is doing his job of being a detective trying to figure out who killed a judge and his wife with his partner Heath Anderson.  When other people wind up dead with the same kind of markings from the previous killings, Remy starts getting pieces of the puzzle together on what is really happening. He starts thinking that his wife, Cody is keeping something from him.  He is determined to find out what, so he can protect her.

Cody once again proves herself in this book that she is strong and she can deal with anything.  I was scared she was going back to original ways at first, but I knew she had her reasons to be scared and turned off from everyone around her.  I felt very sympathetic for her and wanted everything for her to finally have some happiness and peace.  Remy in the story proves once again he’s very protective of his family and friends.  He wants to help Cody, but she’s being stubborn.  He was persistent though, which makes me adore his character a lot.

Remy and Cody are an amazing couple and Winter made me adore them more in each book, even when they were being a pain to each other.  I’m so glad they finally get their happily every after in this book, but it comes with tears being shed and people getting hurt or killed in the process.  Reckoning proves to be just as intense and graphic as the other books in the series, but this one you will need to be prepare yourself to have tissues on hand.  Be prepared also to have some huge secrets come out in this book about Cody’s father and what really happened to her mother.  By far the best part of this book is the epilogue…and I may have shed a tear then too.  (There is another scene I cry at…but don’t want to give away the details on it)  Gosh darn it…I’m going to miss Remy and Cody, but I look forward to what Winter has planned next to write.

I give this book 5 full moons and highly recommend it romantic suspense readers out there.

Books in the series are:  Relentless (Book 1), Retribution (Book 2), Revenge (Book 3), and Reckoning (Book 4).  The titles alone will tell you what to suspect in each story.

I received a complimentary copy of the book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Source: http://booklovinmamas.com/2014/04/06/review-reckoning-by-winter-austin/#more-20357