franjessca

FranJessca [at] Book Lovin' Mamas

Girls Night Out: Volume 2 (GNO)
'Patricia A. Wolf', 'Calinda B', 'Lila Dubois', 'C.J. Ellisson'

4 full moons - "Believe" by Erin McCarthy

Believe - Erin McCarthy

Believe is the 3rd book in the True Believers series, and introduces Tyler and Riley's cousin, Phoenix.  I was definitely excited to read all about the Phoenix since the guy definitely has had a hard life.  He just got out of jail and ends up meeting Robin at his cousin's house.  He notices her out of everyone else because of how quiet she is compared to her friends and that she has a artistic talent, just like he does.  He immediately is told by his cousins to leave her alone and to not get involved with her.  Unfortunately, that just makes Phoenix even more tempted to get to know Robin.  Robin has had a rough summer as well, due to what happened between her and her best friend's boyfriend.  She doesn't remember anything from the incident, but knows she did something wrong.  She has stopped drinking and partying because of it.  The minute she meets Phoenix, she becomes intrigued by him.

What I enjoyed most about Believe is how both characters didn't listen to their family and friends about each other, and end up helping each other through their problems.  Although, Robin has a tendency of running away from her problems, and I noticed that about her in the book.  She drove me crazy with keeping the secret of what she did in the summer from her friends.  She could have handled it from the beginning, but decided to have it blow up later on.  I also was a little peeved on what went down at the end between her and Phoenix.  Phoenix had every right to be mad at her.  I just did not click well with Robin, like I did with Rory, but she did grow on me at the end.

Phoenix won me over in this book due his sweet personality.  Even for being such an aggressive person (only when he felt someone needed a good punch or kick), he knew how to be gentle and caring to his family and friends.  He had his own problems, and he managed to get through them with some help.  He just wanted to help Robin on getting over her past and moving with him in the present…but Robin had to deal with the issues differently than Phoenix.

Erin McCarthy did a great job on introducing two characters together that needed each other.  Robin and Phoenix definitely were meant to meet each other.  They both were into art and they both enjoyed each other's company, when life was crumbling around them.  They helped each other get over their past and present digressions.

I give this book 4 full moons and recommend it to New Adult readers out there.  You will want to read the first two books though, to find out more about the previous characters.  The previous characters are in Believe, which definitely is a plus for me.  I love knowing what is happening to the other characters.  =)

I hope Kylie gets her happily ever after in the next book.  She deserves it after, what happened in this book.  Poor girl!  If she was not a fictional character, I would give her a huge hug.

I received a complimentary copy of the book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Source: http://booklovinmamas.com/2014/01/29/arc-review-believe-by-erin-mccarthy